- 1am, wake up, KNOWING you forgot to check if the image on page 35 was CMYK. Get up, check. It was.
- 2am: Wake up, absolutely certain you had left out a contributor's name and even if you had put it in, you'd spelt it wrong. Get up, check. Yoicks - you had omitted them. So better check all the others.
- 4.30am: Email on phone dings because you forgot to turn it off. Message from publisher "Pages wrong size. Can you fix them?" All 416?
- 4.31am: Contemplate vanishing to depths of Siberia. Realise not practical as cats are asleep on lap, opt to fix instead. Lay in store of energy drinks, feed cats and husband, and lock self in office alone.
- 12 hours later, emerge. Pages fixed. Sleep.
- Wake 30 minutes later, realising you still needed permission to quote someone. Search for email, contact number, source, whatever. Scream. Remove quote. Scrabble round, looking for replacement.
- Ask husband who he is and what he is doing in your house. Remember where you are.
In my case, the first copy I saw was in the breakfast room of a small hotel in Helsingborg, Sweden, when the waitress brought me a package that looked as heavy as a concrete paving slab. The process of inspecting this was viewed by all the staff as I tried to brave my way through the experience: Peeling off a corner at a time, one eye closed, gradually exposing the damage. Much like removing a plaster from a hairy leg. What is the colour like - is the reproduction ok? Then, the miracle of all, it seems fair enough! Not bad, even. Cue: burst into tears which flummoxes staff even more. Next move: head for drinks cabinet and empty contents. Ask husband who he is again.
So folks, the book is here, birthed and squawking.
You can order the paperback (ISBN 9780473411602) online from this website at the "Organs and Organists: Their Inside Stories" page, or buy it from a real shop, such as the Otago University Bookshop, Piccadilly (Merrin Street Mall)
If you live in the northern hemisphere, Organ Historical Society (USA) , Blackwell's Music shop in Oxford, or Allegro Music (UK) or go direct to the publisher, Butz Musikverlag. These suppliers stock the hardcover version ISBN 978-3-928412-21-6.
Now for sleep, perchance NOT to dream...